mandag den 25. august 2014

Hvordan Herzog mødte Lynch gennem Brooks (og om faders lykkelige fravær)

Fra splinternyt interview med Werner Herzog denne måned på sitet Vulture:

It’s funny. Because Mel Brooks, a long time ago we connected in a way that nobody expected. We were really friends.
Which era?

At the end of the ’70s. I would walk into his offices unannounced. He would be with three or four attorneys having a discussion and I would just nod to him and sit down at the same table and disappear ten minutes later. [Giggles.] And there was a strange moment. I told Mel, “Mel, you know what, I have seen an extraordinary film. Something you must see. You must see. It’s only at midnight screenings at the Nuart Theater. And it’s a film by — I don’t know his name, I think it’s Lynch. And he made a film Eraserhead and you must see the film.” And Mel keeps grinning and grinning and lets me talk about the movie and he says, “Yes, his name is really David Lynch, do you like to meet him?” I said, “In principle, yes.” He says, “Come with me,” and two doors down the corridor is David Lynch in pre-production on The Elephant Man! Which Mel Brooks produced! And the bastard sits there and lets me talk and talk and talk and grins and chuckles. And I had no idea [and kept thinking], Why does he chuckle all the time when I talk about the film? But that was how I love Mel Brooks.
 
 - og om barndom og faderfarvær: 
 
The perspective with some of these older films seems to be rooted in the psychology associated with the traumautized generation of post-war Germany.No, no, no, no, no. Number one, when you look at my films they don’t look like post–World War II German movies. And there is no psychology. It’s more like King Ludwig II, the mad king of Bavaria who built dream castles. And everybody immediately believes childhood in postwar Germany was traumatic. My peers who lived in the city grew up in ruins and they had the greatest time in their lives. They all had the most wonderful childhoods. And I, growing up in the countryside, very remotely, I had the greatest childhood you can ever find.
Is it true you were a ski jumper?Yes, well, that was an aspiration that was stopped very quickly, but we had complete freedom because there was no fathers around to tell us what to do and how to do things. And we had weapons, and we handled explosives. [Smiles.]
That’s a sunnier interpretation of your childhood than what I’ve heard from you before.No, it’s not sunny. It’s not an interpretation. It was wonderful. It was great.
On the commentary track to Nosferatu, though, you talked about how the movie was an homage to your grandfather’s generation, because you are from a fatherless generation.Thanks, god. Thanks, god. What a blessing! What a blessing that there was not a Nazi as a father around telling me what to do and how to conquer Russia! And how to be a racist! Thanks, god! I thank god on my knees every day.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Og om at være og ikke være på stoffer:

    I’ve been to Iquitos and have done ayahuasca there. Have you been under psychedelic drugs?
    No, never.

    Is it because you like to be in control?
    No, it’s not a question of control. I simply don’t like the culture of drugs. I never liked the hippies for it. I think it was a mistake to be all the time stoned and on weed. It didn’t look right and it doesn’t look right today either and the damage drugs have done to civilizations are too enormous. And besides, I don’t need any drug to step out of myself. I don’t want them and I do not need them. And you may not believe this, big-eyed as you sit here now, but I’ve not even taken a puff of weed in my life.

    When was the first time you refused a joint?
    Oh, I do not refuse it. I just pass the joint on to the next and let them do it. It’s their business. I don’t want to do it. Actually, I was completely stoned once with the composer Florian Fricke in Popol Vuh. I was at his home and he had pancakes and marmalade. And I smeared the marmalade and he started chuckling and chuckling. And I ate it and it tasted very well and I wanted another one and took another good amount of the marmalade and the marmalade had weed in it. He didn’t even tell me. I was so stoned that it took me an hour to find my home in Munich. I circled the block for a full hour until finding my place. So I have had the experience.

    Was it terrifying?
    No, it wasn’t terrifying. It was just weird. Because I have a good sense of orientation.

    SvarSlet
  2. Undskyld, hvis jeg afsporer, da Herzog-interviewet bestemt fortjener en tråd af kommentarer. Men jeg er meget begejstret for tv-serien 'Louie' af og med Louis C.K. og benytter lejligheden til at dele dette klip, hvor David Lynch er gammel CBS-rotte, der skal guide Louie frem til et prøveshow som Letterman's mulige afløser.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qob3FTPJ7cM

    SvarSlet