tirsdag den 2. november 2010

Om kæpheste - link til Christina W

But every man to his own taste - Did not Dr Kunastrokius, that great man, at his leisure hours, take the greatest delight imaginable in combing asses' tails, and plucking the dead hairs out with his teethm tough he had tweezers always in his pocket? Nay, if you come to that, Sir, have not the wisest of men in all ages, not excepting Solomon himself - have they not had their HOBBY-HORSES; - their running horses, - their coins and their cockle-shells, thier drums and trumpets, thier fiddeles, thieir pallets, - their maggots and their butterflies? - and so long as a man rides his HOBBY-HORSE peaceably and quietly along the King's highway, adn neither compels you or me to get up behind him, - pray, Sir, what have either you or I to do with it?

CHAPTER EIGHT

- De gustibus non est disputandum - that is, there is no disputing against HOBBY-HORSES; and for my part, I seldom do; nor could I with any sort of grace, had i been an enemy to them, at the bottom; for happening, at certain intervals and changes of the Moon, to be both fiddler and painter, according as the fly stings: - Be it known to you, that I keep a couple of pads myself, upon which, in their turns, (nor do I care who knows it) I frequently ride out and take the air; - though sometimes, to my shame be it spoken, I take somewhat longer journeys than what a wise man would think altogether right - But the truth is, - I am not a wise man: - and besides am a mortal of so little consequence in the world, it is not much matter what I do; so i seldom fret or fume about it:

- fra Laurence Sternes The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy -

og min egen kæphest er bøger, skrivningen af hvilke er deres forfatters kæphest, som nu fx Tristram ... at læse dem og skrive om dem og skrive bøger om dem og bare samle på dem (uden nødvendigvis at læse i dem)

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar